Text Size:SmallerNormalLargerPrint PageE-mail Page

Our History

The Parker County Hospital District enjoys a proud history of serving the citizens of Parker County.

Prior to 1945, there were only a handful of medical providers in Parker County. One of the early pioneers, Dr. E.D. Fyke, owned and operated a private hospital from a converted house on North Main in Weatherford known as the Colonel Bowie home. In 1945, the Parker County Commissioners purchased Dr. Fyke's hospital and it became known as the Parker County Hospital.

The Parker County Hospital was remodeled and expanded several times over the years. Following an extensive addition in 1958 the facility was renamed the Campbell Memorial Hospital in memory of Dr. W.M. Campbell, one of the first general practitioners in Parker county.

By 1958 there was rapid population growth in both the city and county and additional capacity was needed beyond the hospital's fifty-six beds. The local voters responded to the need for a more modern health facility and approved $1,725,000 in bonds to construct a new hospital. In addition, an application was filed for $1,000,000 in Federal Hill-Burton funds which was subsequently approved.

On September 1, 1965, the 59th Texas Legislature created the Parker County Hospital District which was one of 70 special districts which were created during that legislative session.

In 1968 the Hospital District purchased a 35-acre tract of land as the first step towards building a new modern facility. Construction began in 1970 and on November 9, 1972, Campbell Memorial Hospital opened a new 97-bed facility.

In 1988 a new Ambulatory Department was completed at a cost of $1,300,000. The same year the Hospital District assumed responsibility for operating the county-wide ambulance service. Initially named TriCare EMS, the ambulance service is now known as the Parker County Hospital District Emergency Medical Services.

In 1994 the Parker County Hospital District opened the Campbell Clinic which is a freestanding independent Medicare-Certified rural health clinic. The clinic moved into its current location at 1517 Texas Drive in May, 2009.

In 2006 the Campbell Health System faced challenging economic times. The hospital needed an extensive renovation and several unsuccessful attempts were made to obtain financing for the expansion of the facility. After weighing all the options, the Board of Directors made the difficult decision to enter into a 30-year lease with Community Health Systems of Brentwood, Tennessee. Community Health Systems took over management of the hospital on November 1, 2006. The Hospital District retained three parts of the Campbell Health System - the Campbell Clinic, the Emergency Medical Service and the Parker County Indigent Care Program which is now known as the Medical Assistance Program. In October of 2017 Hospital Corporation of America purchased the lease from Community Health Systems and the hospital now operates as Medical City Weatherford.

In 2008 the Parker County Hospital District started an Outreach Program to assist the public with basic medical screenings and immunizations

Today the Parker County Hospital District employs around 150 employees. There are Emergency Medical Service stations in Weatherford, Springtown, Willow Park, Brock, Peaster, and Tin Top. The Department is 100% staffed by Paramedics with Mobile ICU equipped trucks. County-wide response times average around 11 minutes on around 1,200 calls per month. The Campbell Clinic has grown over the years and now has four medical providers. The Outreach Program now consists of an Immunization Department and a Telemedicine Department. Outreach staff travel all over the county providing flu shots, childhood immunizations and cholesterol screenings. They work closely with Parker County School Districts to ensure vaccination requirements for all students are met. The Medical Assistance Program now houses a satellite branch of the Tarrant Area Food Bank.

The Campbell Clinic has two display cases which contain some of the early artifacts and memorabilia from the office of Dr. W.M. Campbell.